Saturday, March 17, 2012

Waiting for kids

I've been watching my two does carefully. I've been surprised by the goat stork before and don't want to be caught unawares this time! I take the babies away at birth. I've tried it both ways and found that this is what works best for me for a number of reasons.

1)Mom get's very attached to her baby and when it comes time to milk she will generally pitch a fit while if you take the babies away they just think my milking is the way it's supposed to be and they get right into the schedule without any fuss or upset. I think this is actually kinder to the goats.
2)You see production right off and know what the babies are getting...this allows you to see if there is a problem quickly (is that baby tired or sick? If they aren't eating they are sick!)
3)You keep the udder nice and even this way. Babies will favor one side over another often times ruining the udder's symmetry hurting the value of the goat later.
4)You know if mom has mastitis and can help prevent mastitis from the beginning with a teat dip. The orifice opens to let the milk out and doesn't close right up after which can lead to bacteria in the udder.
5)Optimum milk production is created by demand. Babies don't demand milk on a optimum milking schedule and just sip whenever they want which doesn't empty the udder (telling the udder to produce more milk).

Anyhoo, I thought the goats were bred later even though I saw early breeding behavior. I thought it didn't take when I saw them doing it again later in November. By the looks of things Pims did take! Her tendons that run from her hips to her pin bones is loose, she had bloody mucous on her tail yesterday and her vulva is pink and puckered...all signs of imminent kidding! Now I will watch for the other signs: restlessness & loss of appetite. Look for kid pics soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment