Friday, February 10, 2012

Winter on the Farm

Winter is a slow time for me this year.  We've had some antics from the goats getting out and getting into the chicken shed to eat the chicken feed but mostly they just want to stay where it's warm near the hay feeder.

Breeding was done in late November which gives me kidding in late April--probably the last week of April.  There really is no way to tell what we will get this season or whether or not we will need a new buck to breed any retained does with.   I am thrilled to know Pike Family Farm which has great and entirely different bloodlines from me.  Michelle Pike was our goat judge for the fair this year and has her farm in Cabot--also great for me since she's so close.  Her goats come out of the Jesta herd long known for very high quality Nubian goats. Michelle brought her buck out, Jesta Farm Blue Back in Style, who has a very impressive presence, lovely conformation and a great pedigree.


The down time is great for planning and thinking with no milking or kids to care for.  Now, if I can just keep the goats out of the chicken house...


No comments:

Post a Comment