Saturday, May 28, 2011

Scouring Kid

I've had a bit of a bumpy time with Julius. He has always been the biggest eater...gobbling up everything he's given, which right now includes milk replacer, lamb starter, hay and grain. He kept getting scours. Worrying green, foul smelling scours. He would seem to get better and be fine but a day or two later would have another bout. This last bout was the worst. He's on deconquinate for coccidia so I thought I'd better look for other reasons. One thing I found over and over was worms being behind some scours so the first thing I did was worm him and the others with Ivermectin. It was time to worm anyway at eight weeks old.

Next I went to seek advice from a feed store owner who has boer goats. She recommended Sulmet (Sulfamethazine sodiam 12.5% and I read that yogurt is good for helping keep a good balance of healthy bacteria so I added yogurt and the Sulmet to the milk in the afternoon (a small feeding). True to form, Julius hogged all the milk and got a good dose of Sulmet. By evening feeding he had cow patty droppings instead of scours and by the next day he was normal. I gave everyone Sulmet in their milk the next day in the morning and yogurt at night. Now I've been adding yogurt for two days without any more Sulmet and things are going great.

The kids are eating plenty of lamb finisher which I'm feeding free choice, greens and hay. They seem much more playful and happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment